Transition Milwaukee

Rebuilding Community Resilience & Self-Reliance

During the last hub meeting discussion, attendees asked about books regarding permaculture.

The two with which I started were:
· Earth User's Guide to Permaculture by Rosemary Morrow
 -- really easy-to-grasp overview with many diagrams/mental maps/charts

· Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-scale Permaculture by Toby Hemenway
 -- another easy read with less diagrams, but useful charts; more in-depth on the home scale (suburban)

Other that were mentioned or should be:
· Dave Jacke's Edible Forest Garden 2-volume series
 -- where volume 1 covers theory and principle, and volume 2 covers the more practical application with extensive reference charts
· Bill Mollison's Intro to Permaculture and Permaculture: A Designer's Manual
· David Holmgren's Permaculture: Principles & Pathways Beyond Sustainability
(NOTE: Since Bill Mollison and David Holmgren are the co-creators, their books are likely to be more theoretical and dense... I have yet to try reading them)

· Creating a Forest Garden: Working with nature to grow edible crops by Martin Crawford

(Somewhat of an aside: my first gardening book was the biointensive How to Grow More Vegetables (And Fruits, Nuts, Berries, Other Crops) Than You Ever Thought Possible on Less Land Than You Can Imagine... (the body doesn't seem so long-winded)
Much of this book can be utilized in permaculture, with double digging as the major exception.
 -- covers companion planting, provides plant charts and planning charts

Please share your recommendations as well and/or your experience with any of the above!

Peace.

Views: 76

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've attached an overwhelming list of books (provided by Wayne Weiseman, one of my permaculture instructors) which may interest a lot of you.

Peace.

Attachments:

RSS

© 2017   Created by TM Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service