Here's the proposal that won his time. How do you feel about Milwaukee after reading this? :)
BREW CITY ABUNDANCE TOUR
If we build it – Rob will come
I go to a lot of places, and you get so you can tell if a place is ascendant or in decline. Milwaukee is one of the most ascendant places I've ever been. The energy is palpable from a great distance; the people there step toward a new and challenging idea rather than away from it. Their unself-conscious creative power blew me away. I was so glad to spend some time there, in multiple contexts, with such loving, innovative and interesting people.
Just try and stop me from returning.
– Jim McCarthy, Culture Hacking (TEDx Speaker 2012)
Milwaukee is under the influence, alright. The people are waking up, standing up, and ready to skip ahead with an abundance of optimistic initiative. It’s evidenced in Brew City’s:
- HUNDREDS OF SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS
- MAYOR’S INITIATIVE TO DRIVE URBAN AGRICULTURE -“HOME GR/OWN is Milwaukee’s bold, revolutionary idea that empowers residents and community organizations to transform foreclosed properties into community assets that improve public health and nutritional outcomes, revitalize neighborhoods, and spark economic opportunity. The City owns nearly 4,000 vacant lots and foreclosed homes and will designate a significant portion of them for other creative uses including urban agriculture and urban homesteading.” – with funding this would fly.
- THE CITY’S OFFICE OF SUSTAINABILITY’S ENERGY EFFICIENCY PROGRAM AND GREEN TEAM
- THE SURGE IN URBAN AQUAPONICS CENTERS AND COMMUNITY COOPERATIVES
- THE POPULARITY OF TRANSITION MILWAUKEE’S POWER DOWN WEEK
- THE VAST NETWORK OF ACTIVE COMMUNITY LEADERS AND SOCIAL ENTREPRENUERS who generously pay themselves with enthusiasm
- OUR LOCALLY SUPPORTED RADIO STATION - with its outstanding music and stylish, daily journalistic features, Community Stories, that will charm your focus toward the depth of active hope currently scratching at the seams of our 1.1MM post-industrial playground.
- THE FOOT TRAFFIC ON THE WORLD’S LARGEST BODY OF FRESHWATER – LAKE MICHIGAN
- OH…AND THE SOUGHT-AFTER MICROBREWERIES – A TOUR AGENDA MUST!
The communities are ready to take off. The individual drive is evident, the alliances are built, the Transition Network is strong in our city, and now the opportunity is open to host Rob with Practical Enthusiasm. The strength of the network speaks to a resiliency potential, and the means to get the physical work accomplished.
Milwaukee’s concentration of energy exhibits a noteworthy momentum. There are also gaps in our metro-area infrastructure and room for growth at the community level. And with this local energy level and a bit of funding, the Milwaukee Transition Network has the potential to tip the resiliency paradigm into a living reality for urban culture. The case-study success story for a medium-sized city is quite possibly achievable.
With Rob’s presence, Transition Milwaukee would open the door to gather the community players and funding that would instigate the implementation toward low-energy abundant systems and structures the public has been dreaming up. Please send him to us!
The following is a WISH-LIST ROB HOPKINS VISIT AGENDA that can be modified to accommodate Rob’s time-frame and interests. We realize this is a headful of activity – we’re ready to organize a tasteful event or tour as appropriate.
Transition Milwaukee would like to host the BREW CITY ABUNDANCE TOUR AND/OR FAIR
FAIR – (Hosted by one of our Universities)
- Kick-Off by City Rep – Office of Sustainability OR POTENTIALLY THE MAYOR?
- Key-Note by Rob Hopkins
- Local Vendor Sale and Demonstration Area - Local vendors and businesses can sell their products and services, while also demonstrating technique – combining reskilling with local exchange and promotion.
- Speakers from Local Community Groups and Reps for Panel Discussions
- Film Screening
- Local Donors through already existing networks such as Community Shares and Fund Milwaukee - with an invitation to community members and groups to pitch project and organizational aspirations.
- Transition Train the Trainer ‘Teaser Session’-with Zahner – Milwaukee’s own TUS Trainer. As a Coordinating Hub, Transition Milwaukee is aiming to create curriculum, resources and support to assist neighborhood group formation. Ideally, Transition Milwaukee could provide ongoing support to these neighborhood groups. This could be a great introduction to harness interest and momentum toward an official program.
- PERMACULTURE ABANDONED LOT + TINY HOUSE INSTALLATION - Partner with the City to identify an abandoned lot where we would feature a tiny house installation and permaculture design unveiling. Host an auction to buy the property and donate to an aspiring local farmer.
- Aquaponics Centers - including Growing Power, winner of the MacArthur Genius Grant. And our for-profit aquaponics center, Central Greens.
- Local Food Production Sites
- Restaurants featuring local menus
- Retro-Fitted Homes and churches
- Bike shops and ASPIRING BIKE-SHARE PROGRAMS
- SUCCESSFUL NEIGHBORHOOD INITAITIVEs – WALNUT WAY
- ALTERNATIVE FUEL SITES
- COMPOSTING SITES
- ETC…We’d really like the time to access the collective genius with more time for ideas.
PROMOTION AND SPACES
- The CITY COUNCIL
- Neighborhood Groups
- Networks from local businesses
- Wide-Reaching Local Organizations -The Urban Ecology Center and Growing Power to name just a few
- University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (UWM)
- Milwaukee Area Technical College (MATC) hosts the Milwaukee Sustainability Summit, and we have an MATC Summit Board Member on our Steering Committee
- Milwaukee School of Engineering (MSOE) - we have ins here too
- Marquette University and the Community Transformation Project
- Regional Transition Initiatives - Milwaukee is a perfect central location in the Midwest for even the Minnesotans and only a 90 minute train ride from O’Hare International Airport in Chicago.
- All other special interest groups’ networks
- Our 615 Transition Milwaukee Member-Thick Database
We’ve hosted Nicole Foss. We’ve organized city-wide events such as the Victory Garden Memorial Day Blitz and Power Down Week. We know we can show Rob a memorable, productive adventure in the heart of the U.S., on the inland waterways, among some of the most remarkable people, beer, sausage, cheese and progressive engagement in the world.
Please let us know if we’ve won Rob’s time! Because we’d like to begin planning.
Transition Milwaukee President & Executive Synthesizer
Transition Milwaukee Steering Committee Member
MATC Milwaukee Sustainability Summit Board Member